Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, September 19, 2011

Looking Forwards Back.

Two years ago tomorrow Running for Pearl was born. It was not the day I started the site or this blog, it was the inception of the idea on that run around the grounds of Versailles Castle on a mild September evening. Looking at what it has become now is beyond anything I could have envisioned. Marathons and half marathons have been run on every continent in the world, thousands of miles have be clocked on bikes--swims, walks and hikes up mountains have also been done. Not to mention the many, many people who have fund raised, given support and spread the word. Reputable companies have sponsored us gear and other essentials to ease the costs of keeping this thing rolling along. I have been smiling on so many occasions when I have looked through the gallery of photos on the facebook page of children with their Running for Pearl designs and paintings.

The intention I had was to run races and ultra distances to raise awareness and it did. The great joy of it now is that I no longer carry the flag alone. Yesterday was probably one of the finest examples of this as my dear friend Tim Meier ran one of the gutsiest races I have ever witnessed in person. Tim's goal he told me a few weeks back was to get a PR on his half marathon time and maybe sneak under 1:18, but when I met him at his place for an early morning coffee yesterday I could tell he was going to throw down hard. He was incredibly focused and with the intense training he had done over the past six months I had no doubts he was going to blitz the course. I won't attempt to do a race report as I know he will do a great job of it himself on his own blog but watching him climb the ranks and pick of runners over the three laps of the seven mile dirt loop was pure joy. The guy was main-lining adrenaline and as he came into the finishing chute in fourth place, five seconds behind the guy in third, with a time of 1:16:17, I was gob smacked. I knew he was good but this had just proved he is great. Below are some photos and thanks to Tim and to you all who have been the real community that are paving the way and helping the Autism cause in a pure and selfless way.

(race time)
(bro's)
(listening to some RATM)
(says it all really)
(Tim with coach Olivier)


(making room for lunch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments and feedback so take it away......

Running for Pearl

This blog is dedicated to my daughter Pearl who was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) in August 2009. My goal is to raise funds and awareness by doing what I love....Running.