Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Afterthoughts.

Its been five weeks since I finished my run across Ireland and there are many thoughts and lessons that will probably stay with me for some time to come.

  • The first one is acceptance, it is emotionally crippling to be in a situation where you have worked really hard but still face what seems insurmountable. Letting go of the fear and the disappointment and the anger when I got injured was both hard and easy to do. It seemed easy once I had surrendered to my fate, it only seemed difficult when I went against it and fought the inevitability. Realising that I am accountable for my decisions became the only factor in choosing to continue on a bike and I know I chose well in the end.
  • The second is fear, where there is a will there is most certainly a way. Embracing the unknown and turning uncertainty into a voyage changes everything. As long as you are moving forward, regardless of the pace, you are still moving.
  • The third is belief, if you truly believe and visualise the goal you can achieve it. A lacklustre attitude or outlook never inspired or accomplished much in this world. From day one I never doubted that I would complete the trek, it just was not something that ever crossed my brain waves. If you project an image of failure chances are it will come true.
  • The fourth is positivity, surround yourself with people you believe in and who believe in you. I have an amazing group in friends in all areas of my life from people who run to people in Autism circles to people I have never even met in person. I think that once we are accepted and respected for who we are as individuals we can fulfill our greatest potential and truly make a difference in the world.

My running has been pretty low as of late and I now find myself rebuilding again and preparing for other adventures. I wanted--at my lowest points during and after the run-- to strangle the people who said "It's all happening for a reason" or "It will make you stronger these lessons you are learning". The reason for my frustration? Because I knew these people were right. It takes a while once you step out of the eye of the storm to get some perspective. I have that now and although my bottom line feeling is one of disappointment for not completing the trek as I had planned, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Accept the things you cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments and feedback so take it away......

Running for Pearl

This blog is dedicated to my daughter Pearl who was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) in August 2009. My goal is to raise funds and awareness by doing what I love....Running.